[David Strom's Web Informant] Protecting your digital and online privacy

David Strom david at strom.com
Fri Oct 4 09:43:43 EDT 2019

Web Informant, October 4, 2019: Protecting your digital and online privacy

I gave a talk at our local Venture Cafe
<https://www.slideshare.net/davidstrom/protecting-your-digital-and-online-privacy>
about this topic and thought I would summarize some of my suggestions in a
blog post here. We all know that our devices leak all sorts of personal
data: the locations and movements of our phones, the contents of our emails
and texts, the people with whom we communicate, and even the smart devices
in our homes are all chatty Cathys. There have been numerous articles that
describe these communications, including how an app for the University of
Alabama's football team tracks students
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/12/sports/alabama-tracking-app.html> who
agree to divulge their game attendance in return to obtain rewards points
for college merch. Another NY Times story analyzed the tracking resources
<https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/23/opinion/data-internet-privacy-tracking.html>
when a reporter visited dozens of different websites. The trackers from
these sites were able to determine where the reporter lived and worked and
could collect all sorts of other personal information, including finding
out when women who were using phone apps to track their monthly periods
were having sex.

Most of us have some basic understanding about how web tracking cookies
work: this technology is decades old. But that era seems so quaint now and
the problem is that our phones are powerful computers that can track all
sorts of other stuff that can be more invasive. It also doesn't help that
our phones are usually with us at all times. Reading the two NYT pieces
should make anyone more careful about what information you should give up
to the digital overlords that control our apps. In my talk I present a few
tools to fight back and provide more privacy protection. They include:

   - *Monitor your Wifi usage and then choose the right VPN* that offers
   the best protection. Open Wifi networks can collect everything that you are
   doing online: you should find and use the right VPN to at least encrypt
   these conversations. The problem is many VPNs are owned by Chinese vendors
   or that collect other information about you. Two studies are worth
   reviewing: one by Privacy Australia <https://privacyaustralia.net/>
   which has a nice analysis of which are faster performers and one by
   Top10VPN <https://www.top10vpn.com/free-vpn-app-investigation/> which
   goes into details about who owns each vendor. I use ProtonVPN on both my
   phone and laptop.
   - *Choose passwords carefully and use a password manager. *I have made
   this recommendation before, do take it seriously if you still are a hold
   out. Reusing passwords is the single biggest mistake you can make towards
   compromising your privacy. I use LastPass on all my devices.
   - *Change your DNS settings to provide additional protection. *There are
   now numerous alternative DNS providers that can help encrypt and hide your
   web traffic, as well as provide for faster connections. Cloudflare has two
   tools, including its 1.1.1.1 DNS service and its Warp phone VPN service.
   Both are free.

In my talk I also have several main strategies towards better privacy
protection. These include:

   1. *Eliminate very personal data on social media*, such as your real
   birthday and other identifying information. Be careful about future posts
   and whom you tag on your social media accounts too.
   2. *Delete the Facebook Messenger phone app*: it scraps your entire
   contact list and uploads it to Facebook. Don't use social media identities
   as login proxies if you can avoid them.
   3. *Audit your phones regularly and eliminate unneeded apps*. Know which
   ones are leaking data and avoid them as well. The app Mighty Signal
   <https://try.mightysignal.com> will report on what is leaked.
   4. *Set up your phone for optimum privacy protection. *This involves
   several steps, including updating to the latest iOS and Android OS versions
   and enable their latest privacy features, such as stripping photo location
   metadata and blocking unknown callers. A good place to start is to
use the JumboPrivacy
   App <https://www.jumboprivacy.com/> to further restrict your data
   leakage too: it will recommend the most private settings for you, given how
   complex the average phone app is these days and how hard it is to figure
   out how to configure each app appropriately.
   5. If you are truly concerned, *move to a different browser and search
   tool,* such as Brave and DuckDuckGo that offer more privacy protection.
   Yes you will give up some functionality for this protection, so you have to
   weigh the tradeoffs of utility versus protection.

This seems like a lot of work, and I won't deny that. Take things one step
at a time, and change one habit and understand its consequences (including
loss of functionality and convenience) before moving on to making other
changes. Too often folks can easily get overwhelmed and then retreat to old
habits, nullifying these improvements. When you have a choice, *pick
technologies that are easier to manage and implement*.

Do let me know what your own experiences have been along this journey too
--comments are always welcome here. <https://blog.strom.com/wp/?p=7378>