[David Strom's Web Informant] December 8, 2014: How you can support Ferguson

David Strom david at strom.com
Mon Dec 8 06:26:27 EST 2014

 Web Informant, December 8, 2014: How you can support Ferguson
<http://blog.strom.com/wp/?p=4616>

<http://blog.strom.com/wp/?p=4616>
 <http://blog.strom.com/wp/?p=4616#respond>
As many of you know, I live just a few short miles from the small city of
Ferguson. I wanted to support some of the numerous small businesses who are
now without a building, or who are trying to clean up after the riots,
looting, and arson. I asked a friend of mine, who works in the city, for
some thoughts and guidance. He is frustrated because his city has become a
synonym for racial bias, protests, and civil disobedience. Yet there was a
lot of good things that happened in the city before this summer, and sadly
no one wants to know about them before wanting to have a “conversation” or
“to effect change.” But let’s talk about something you can do: send money.

Here is my modest plan. As many of you also know, for the past 12 or so
years I have reached out to you and asked for you to support one of my
charitable fundraising efforts that are usually accompanied by an organized
bicycle ride. Over the years I have managed to raise tens of thousands of
dollars for various causes like Juvenile Diabetes, cancer and MS.

*Today it is time to raise money for Ferguson*. Several of the local
businesses now have GoFundMe crowdsourced pages and are raising funds,
because they want to stay in business. A few national reporters are
mentioning these pages, which is great. I have tried to find ones that are
still far behind on their goals but worthwhile efforts nonetheless. I would
like you to take a moment, pick one (or more, if you are feeling generous),
and send in your money. I have supported all of them to show that my
concern is genuine.

A couple of weeks ago, I went on a bike ride to the city, along a lovely
trail for part of the trip, to have lunch at Cathy’s Kitchen. I have eaten
there before, it is a family-run place that has been there for several
years and is one of several places owned by the family in the area. They
are located across the street from the police station and were spared most
of the demonstrations until relatively recently, when they were hit during
the riots.
Support Cathys Kitchen <http://www.gofundme.com/htnohk>

Cose Dolci is a small bakery that has also been in Ferguson for many years
and also family-run, and just a few blocks away from Cathy’s restaurant.
Support Cose Dolci Bakery <http://www.gofundme.com/hv0xac>

Beauty supply stores in Ferguson were very much at risk, both this summer
and then earlier last month during the riots: hair extensions and other
care products aren’t cheap. The folks at Beauty World had their windows
smashed and a bomb was thrown into the store, and the fire sprinklers
soaked whatever inventory was left behind (as you can see from the photo
above). Like the others it is also family- run by a local couple.
Support Beauty World <http://www.gofundme.com/beautyworld>

Down the street is the Hidden Treasures boutique, which also suffered
during the riots and is locally owned too. It is located in the Ferguson
“City Walk” which was a recent new development over the past several years
to bring a series of specialty shops together in close proximity that many
larger cities have examples of.
Support Hidden Treasures Antiques
<http://www.gofundme.com/JenieceAndrewsforH>

The first building to burn to the ground this past summer was a Quik Trip
gas station that quickly became the gathering point for many demonstrators.
A small family-run insurance brokerage was across the street, and this time
got its share of rioters and arsonists. Imagine trying to run your
storefront behind plywood covering what once was your windows. They still
want to operate in town too.
Support Solo Insurance <http://www.gofundme.com/huiz2o>

Last but not least is Mimi’s Bar and Grill, another restaurant that has
been around for 20 years. Earlier this summer, they purchased the remainder
of the building that they didn’t own, and saw their business drop to
nothing.
Support Mimi’s Bar and Grill <http://www.gofundme.com/hw7w30>

There are obviously many more places in town that could use your support.
These are just a few of the ones that I know of. Please take a moment and
send in some money, whatever you can would helpl. I know they will
appreciate your support. And I thank you for your generosity.
If these links didn't come through, you can check out this column and
comment as well here:
http://blog.strom.com/wp/?p=4616