[David Strom's Web Informant] June 28, 2013: Being ISTJ

David Strom david at strom.com
Fri Jun 28 12:06:45 EDT 2013

Web Informant, June 28, 2013: Being ISTJ

Like many of you, over time I have been tested for the Myers-Briggs
personality profile. I keep coming up ISTJ: that stands for Introvert,
Sensing, Thinking and Judging.

I find this test to be fascinating, and I guess get some small comfort
from being pegged as an ISTJ. Several years ago, I was even so
enthralled with the test that I wrote a piece for ServerWatch about
how you can use the test and personas to manage your networks, based
on the type of personalities you have working for you.
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/1354901

This week when I was at the Ford Trends event in Dearborn I got tested
again, and again I came up as an ISTJ.  Ford was showing us how they
apply personality types to their own research on who is more likely to
buy what kind of car, and in the briefing that we had about the
results were several different personas where we would find our
matching profile. You can see the picture on my blog, but I will
summarize here for those of you reading along in email.

My matching persona was named Cal, who was the owner of a F-250 Super
Duty pickup. For those of you that don't know this is a big truck.
Cal's 6.7 liter V8 turbo engine "makes him feel unstoppable" and he
also owns a lot of tools. Now while there is no doubt that the profile
of Cal by Ford is totally ISTJ, Cal isn't anywhere near me. If you
know me, you know that power tools and I don't occupy the same space,
unless they are someone else's and even then I try to stay away from
them as much as possible. But Cal is "the go-to guy who gets things
done" and I would have to agree that is me to a (Model) T. And I liked
the picture of Cal and his rugged good looks that they had included
next to the profile.

Speaking of pickups, also at the Ford event was their concept Atlas
truck that combined the best of LED-lit limo-style interior with other
fancy features, such as auto-closing louvers on the wheels and front
grill to give you a few extra MPG when you are going at fast MPH.

Whether or not I will buy a pickup truck in my future isn't really the
point. The packet of information that I got at the event was
interesting: included were suggestions on how to enhance my
decision-making based on my ISTJ'edness. Such as:
--	Realize that planning for success is as important as preparing for failure
--	Remember to evaluate a decision on its merits, rather than reject
it based on fear of the unknown
--	Realize that conformity and agreement are better won than imposed

There is a lot more that I have to say about the Ford event (including
meeting Woz for the first time), and I will be posting on Internet
Evolution next week, so check back with me then to see what I learned
at the event.

You are welcome to comment, as well as view Cal's photo, here:
http://strom.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/istj/