[David Strom's Web Informant] February 22, 2011: What becomes a blog legend most

David Strom david at strom.com
Tue Feb 22 10:13:41 EST 2011

Web Informant, February 22, 2011: What becomes a blog legend most?

The days of blogs are either numbered (according to the NY Times) or
becoming more important (according to Steve Rubel). Gen X is either
all on Twitter or Facebook (according to just about everyone) or
moving beyond them using their cell phones (ditto). Never in the short
history of the Web have so many people interpreted data so widely with
so many contradictory conclusions.

So when it comes time to divvy up your communications budget and pick
your corporate strategy, do you:
a. Rebuild your Web site, adding blogging-like features (threads,
comments, trackbacks, tags)?
b. Train a bunch of people how to use Twitter and start initiating and
following conversations?
c. Split your efforts between Facebook and LinkedIn to attract and
keep your talented social networkers?
d. Use email and instant messaging for customer outreach?

The correct answer is all of the above, it depends, or go back to
doing trade shows and taking out print ads in the IT pubs. What, there
aren't any print IT pubs anymore? Oops, scratch that last one. (Just
kidding, somewhat.)

Still, it is getting harder to figure out what constitutes a great
blog. My favorite Rubel bon mot (he now works for Edelman Digital):
Think of your web site (including your blog) as your homeland, and
your presence on social media services as embassies. You need both to
build and sustain relationships.

Here is one example: I think most of us will recognize the name Andrew
Sullivan as one of the A-list political bloggers (he currently works
at the Atlantic). Yet he doesn't take comments on his Daily Dish blog,
and he doesn't Tweet. You can get to him via old-fashioned email quite
easily, though. Is this an outlier or an omen of the future?

Then there are those Twitter darlings who have gotten book and TV
deals as a result of their Tweets who don't have much in the way of
blogs, at least not initially. Outlier or omen?

There are companies that are building Facebook landing pages, such as
Delta, to replace or augment their Web reservations site. You can
understand that Delta wants those fliers who live in Facebook to stay
there when the time comes to book flights. But is it outlier or omen
of what other businesses are doing?

In my last post/email blast, I asked you to send me your comments. I
got them via Twitter, Facebook, email, and as blog comments. All were
solid suggestions, although the emails started almost immediately
after I sent out my request. Does that mean that you, my dear readers,
are more email-centric, older, or wiser? (I would like to think at
least the last one.) Who knows?

And that is exactly my point. With apologies to Blackglama, what
becomes a blog legend most is up for grabs. Blogs should have comments
and a rich interplay of ideas and tons of page views, but they don't
have to: they can be authoritative go-to sources of content in a
particular niche. And yes, a healthy company does need a balanced diet
of social media efforts, just like you need for your own nutrition and
health.