[David Strom's Web Informant] 23 November 2011: Clean up your PC with TuneUp Utilties

David Strom david at strom.com
Tue Nov 23 06:42:29 EST 2010

Web Informant 23 November 2011:  Clean up your PC with TuneUp Utilties

I know many of you are planning your 5 am commando raids this coming
Friday on the local shopping emporia, but if you need a break from
trying to download all the various holiday flyers so carefully
preserved in PDF format by Walmart, Best Buy et al. or trying out
Black Friday apps on your iPhone, you might want to take a moment to
clean up your Windows PC with the latest 2011 version of TuneUp
Utilities. It will be well worth your time, and for $50 for three
computers, cheap too.

All of us who use the same computer for more than a year have noticed
that things tend to slow down over time: it takes longer for the PC to
boot up and shut down. Even when we try to restrain ourselves from
adding or deleting programs, the registry gets bogged down with
superfluous entries that slow the machine down while it is running
too. That is where TuneUp can help.

I have used previous versions, and while they were good about
optimizing the overall Windows OS parameters, they didn't do much in
the way of figuring out the applications on my machines. The new
version goes deeper into how the apps work, and makes it really easy
to adjust them to meet your particular needs. You get constant
feedback about the consequences of your decisions, so you immediately
know whether something that you just did is going to actually improve
your performance or not have any impact. I wish we had something like
this for our lives.

One of the new features in the product is called Program Deactivator.
If you wanted your PC to run faster, you previously had to uninstall
programs that took up a lot of your system’s resources. Now, with just
one click, you can deactivate a software program that you don't
normally use. However, the bits remain installed on your computer, and
when you need to run the program, you just click on its icon or select
it from your Programs menu and it comes right back up with almost no
lag time.

By deactivating unused or infrequently used programs, you speed up
your overall operations. TuneUp shows you the impact of your selection
on startup, during operation and upon shut down, so you can get an
idea of what kind of resource hog each program is.

TuneUp engineers did some benchmarks that showed deactivating programs
returned a sluggish PC almost back to its first day performance
characteristics. The process is very intuitive and takes just a few
minutes.

There are a lot of other performance enhancements in the utility,
including a special "turbo mode" that can make your machine run a lot
faster when you need it for playing games, editing videos or doing
other processor-intensive tasks.

TuneUp Utilities works for all versions of Windows since XP with SP2,
including 64-bit versions. You can download a free trial at
http://www.tune-up.com/download

And if you want to see a quick video screencast that I did for the
company, check it out here:
http://webinformant.tv/tuneup2011.html

Retweet this: @dstrom Clean up your PC with TuneUp Utilties http://bit.ly/dSKDrS